Shane was born and raised in Smiths Falls. He received his B.A.(Hons) from the University of Toronto, and was a gold medalist in Economics and Political Science. He received his LL.B. from Osgoode Hall Law School, and his Masters of Law in International Corporate Finance from the University of Sydney, Australia.
After being called to the bar in 1986, Shane practiced as an associate and partner with the Toronto office of Blake, Cassels & Graydon, one of Canada’s pre-eminent law firms, where he specialized in corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions and securities law.
Shane has a true “general” practice with a focus on corporate/commercial law. His practice also includes real estate, wills and estates, and municipal law. In the context of his corporate practice Shane regularly advises clients on the purchase, sale and reorganization of various types of businesses, family trusts and business succession planning.
Shane has provided advice to several local municipalities on a range of issues including the sale of hydro-electric assets to Hydro One, municipal restructuring, procurement/tender issues and labour/employment matters in both union and non-union sectors.
Shane’s law related experience includes:
• 1992-93 – Policy advisor to the Ontario Minister of Finance on Financial Institutions Issues
• 1993-99 – Director and Chair of the Deposit Insurance Corporation of Ontario, the deposit insurer and stabilization authority for Ontario’s 350 credit unions and caisses populaires
• Past chair of the Strategic Liaison Committee between the Ministry of Finance, Financial Services Commission of Ontario and DICO, and Chair of a committee of elected chairs of industry leagues and associations
• Member of the Ontario Government Securities Task Force (the “Daniels Commission), a four person task force responsible for recommendations leading to major revisions to the Ontario Securities Act in 1995
• 1996 -2002 – Part-time Professor of Corporate Finance Law at the University of Ottawa Law School and has guest lecturer in Advanced Family Law
• Past President of the County of Lanark Law Association
• 2008-present- Deputy Judge of the Ontario Small Claims Court, sitting regularly in Perth and Brockville
• McNamee v McNamee: Excluding Estate Freeze Gifted Shares from Family Property, OBA Fourth Annual Bread and Butter Issues in Family Law, 2013
• The Estate Freeze – A Primer for Corporate, Family and Estate Lawyers, Kingston & the 1000 Islands Legal Conference, 2017
Kelly O’Neill-Falkner, firstname.lastname@example.org
Real Estate Assistant:
Tania Blair, email@example.com